Wednesday, August 30, 2006

On Becoming a Christian – Part 5

(From 7/12/06 on my old blog)

(Hey, read the parts in order)

So in 1983 at the age of 25, I became a Christian. So what? That is the same philosophical question that was asked of me way back in the 8th grade by the pastor who led those confirmation classes that I wasn’t really interested in. So what? After I became a Christian, what was different about me? I started out as a good person and I still was.

Well, first of all, I was now sure of what would happen to me when I died. I would indeed be allowed into heaven because of my belief in Jesus Christ. When he died, he took the punishment for all of the times I fell short – past and future.

I also had some new interests. I was much more interested in those stories I had heard and learned about years before – stories from the Bible and why they were not just stories. I wanted to know more. I was also interested in letting others know what I had had learned. I chose to do this through participation in the music ministry. As a member of the choir, I have personally seen hundreds of people accept Christ (become Christians) after listening to the music ministry presentations at Christmas and Easter. I also believe that many others were influenced as well so that they also eventually became believers at later dates. I became one who was knocking on people’s doors – as part of a choir. Some of those people opened the door right then while to others, we in the music ministry were just another in a series of knockers. It is an amazing thing, an honor and a privilege to be used by God in this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home