Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gerald Ford

Gerald Ford was defeated in his only run for the office of president. He lost to Jimmy Carter in the 1976 election. That was the first presidential election that I ever voted in. I was a sophomore at the College of DuPage at the time and I remember how happy a number of teachers were that Carter had been elected. They were even handing out peanuts as part of their celebration. Carter was known as a peanut farmer. I voted for Ford.

Gerald Ford is also the only president I have ever seen in person. I only had a glimpse of him as he rode by as Grand Marshal of the 1978 Tournament of Roses Parade.

While a student at the University of Michigan, I recall that he was to do a lecture for some class in Angell Hall. It just so happens that at that time I happened to have a class in that same building not too long before he was supposed to be there. I didn't get to see him, but I do remember the secret service guys hanging around. As I walked down the hall, one of them was keeping an eye on me through his sunglasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home