Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Grebe is a Funny Name for a Bird

The western grebe in the photo below was having a problem. I watched him for a while before I realized what the problem was. He went back and forth for quite a while and sometimes he would go below the water. That's not unusual for a grebe but sometimes he would also flop around in an eratic fashion. Upon closer examination with binoculars, I could see that he was snagged on an abandoned fishing line. We notified some park personnel and they went in and rescued the poor fellow.



I think grebe is a funny word. I also think grebes are cool looking. Western Grebes are common in this area (Denver) but are also migratory so you won't see them all year.

4 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for being a good Samaritan.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second that. There is no photo though, just a question mark in a box, so not able to view the western grebe, which I would dearly like to see.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger cajrrman said...

Picture shows up fine for me.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grebe is now appearing in the photograph. Grebes always resemble cobras floating on the water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home