Friday, September 15, 2006

Mowing the Lawn

Since the weather was threatening enough to keep me from heading out on my bicycle after work today, I decided that I would mow the lawn instead. While I was going to and fro in the back yard I began thinking about why I think of it as "mowing the lawn" instead of "cutting the grass". Is this a regional phrase? Is it old fashioned? Is it a US versus British English thing?

Mowing the Lawn
- Sounds better than "cutting the grass"
- Implies that great care is being taken with the grass growing in the “lawn”
- An enjoyable task
- The result is a thing of beauty
- Goes with edging and trimming

Cutting the Grass
- Something you have to do because the neighbors are complaining.
- The result is shorter grass
- Something you do to get rid of the dandelion flowers
- Goes with weed whacking

3 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your comparison between mowing the lawn and cutting the grass. I think that mowing the lawn is more southern and western, perhaps because of larger lot sizes, especially in the past. And cutting the grass implied a quicker job of just trimming the yard and getting it over with. If you mow does that mean you can get a riding mower?

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger cajrrman said...

I don't think it's a southern thing. We called it "mowing the lawn" in Chicago where I grew up. And, of course, the machine we use to mow is called a mower, not a cutter.

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, lawns are an anachronism in this day of water shortages and overuse of pesticides, and fertilizers, all petroleum based. They do not contribute much to wildlife diversity, and they consume one's personal time in maintenance, which in my opinion could be put to better use. Rip the lawn out! Plant native shrubs and trees and notice the influx of birds, insects, and mammals! They will thank you for it, and you will have more fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home